1. Helping the mentee think more positively and proactively.
2. Listening when the mentee has a question, problem, or topic to discuss.
3. Identify the mentee's feelings and verify them (empathy and positive feedback).
4. Providing appropriate information and support.
5. Encouraging and inspiring mentee.
6. Sharing your experiences, knowledge and skills.
A mentor can provide the most appropriate assistance at important crossroads in a mentee's life, helping the mentee resolve the problem or make a decision and move forward.
Quite simply, a mentor is a friend.